Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Memorial Day Murph

Against my better judgement, under the pressure of an older sibling who makes these things sound much easier and more fun than they really are, signed up for the local round of the 2013 Memorial Day Murph. I'm joking, it's for a great cause and although my body will hate me afterward, it's doable and should be a cool experience.

from their website:

June 28th, 2005 
A team of 4 Navy SEALs led by LT. Michael P. Murphy on a mission to capture or kill a key Taliban leader, found themselves seriously outnumbered in a firefight with well over 100 enemy troops. Pinned down and under intense enemy fire, their communications operator severely wounded, they were in desperate need for help. Due to the mountainous terrain, their communications could not be received. Understanding the situation, LT. Michael P. Murphy moved to open exposing himself to enemy fire, to use his satelite phone to request immediate support to save his team. LT Murphy was mortally wounded making that call. They continued fighting until Lt. Murphy and two of his three team mates were mortally wounded. His fourth team member, severly injured himself, managed to escape where he was taken in by a local villager until he was rescued 4 days later. He went on to tell the story in a book titled “The Lone Survivor”
For his selfless leadership, courageous actions and extraordinary devotion to duty, LT. Michael P. Murphy received the Medal of Honor, the first service menber to receive the medal in Operation Enduring Freedom, and the first Navy recipient of the medal since Vietnam. 
Lt Murphy had a favorite workout he would do to prepare for his deployments. He would make sure he wore his body armor for this workout, which he started calling “Body Armor” After his death, it was renamed and would now be referred to as “Murph”. A very demanding workout had just been given a name, and a soul.


What is 'The Murph'?


  • 1 Mile Run to start
  • 100 Pull-ups
  • 200 Push-ups
  • 300 Squats
  • 1 mile run to finish
I'm just going to go ahead and start apologizing to my quads now. To prepare, and in a fruitless effort to compete with my over-the-top-fit S.W.A.T. bro, I'll be attempting it at least once per week as part of my normal workout routine because I'm an idiot. Maybe I can talk him into doing it with his kevlar and/or gear on...

Yesterday was my initial run through. I skipped the running and ran out of time.
60 pullups / 120 push-ups / 180 squats in 22 minutes.
Disappointing.
According to Logsitall.com the average on the Murph is 45:00. I'd be happy with 50:00.
My goal is:
10:00 1 mile run
30:00 pull ups/push-ups/squats
10:00 1 mile run

I have until 5-27-13 to make that happen.

Issuing a formal apology to my body, as a whole, in advance.

If you want to sign up and give it a go, check out http://mdmfundraiser.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment